Friday, November 30, 2012

Meet the Author: Hannah Gomez


Why do you write for teens?
I think it’s the same reason I like working with them. I remember what it was like to be one so strongly, and I didn’t really enjoy it. Books were something that I really did love, however, and not only are they where I found people like me inside the pages, but they also helped me connect with real life people who loved books, too. Also, I’ve grown really disenchanted with “adult literary fiction” because it’s so insufferably similar and full of purple prose, whereas I think YA authors and editors are so much more willing to take risks, create new narrative styles, and blend genre.

What's the most difficult part of crafting a story?
Writing it. I hate writing. I love research, I love outlining and planning, and I actually adore editing and rewriting. But first drafts are the most painful thing EVER.

How does your writing offer something new to the children’s literature world?
I guess that remains to be seen, but I like to think that I can do a lot for diversity in the field, both as an author and in the content. I don’t write “multicultural literature” because that’s a misnomer and very Orientalist. But I write about people who look like people I know look, people who have mixed or complicated backgrounds like mine, and people who don’t already see themselves in hundreds of books, because I certainly had trouble finding those books when I was young (and still do now).

(Sarah) Hannah Gómez grew up in Tucson, Arizona, and got her BA in creative writing at the University of Arizona. Now she lives in Boston and is completing a master’s in children’s literature and a master’s of library and information science at Simmons College. She is at work on any number of things at any given time, and she blogs at mclicious.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment