Monday, May 28, 2012

Being Friends With Boys

by Terra Elan McVoy
Simon & Schuster | May 1, 2012

When I was in high school, most of my best friends were boys. They made more sense to me then, seemed less dangerous somehow, and let's face it, were more fun. Charlotte discovers, during the course of this story, as I did way back then, that actually, being friends with boys is more complicated than it first appears.

Char and Oliver have been besties for a long time and are in a band with Trip and Abe. Well, sort of. Char writes the lyrics for Oliver and acts as an advisor/manager of sorts. When Trip leaves the band, Fabian comes along, and everything starts to change.

The book isn't the most astounding thing I've ever read, but it's a good story for a lazy weekend. And it ends right where I want all teenage love stories to end - with the right boy standing beside the right girl. I'm rewarded even more in this one, because rather than the age-old cop-out ending of boy + girl + holding hands walking into the sunset = supposed instant satisfaction, Char acknowledges there's work to do to make the relationship work.

No comments:

Post a Comment